Thursday, October 6, 2011

Garden Safari

One of the joys of living in Uganda is the bird life.  Uganda is home to over 1000 species of birds which makes it a twitchers' paradise.  Previous to living here, I never took notice of birds let alone knew the names of them.  I used to watch my Mom admiring the birds at her feeder and referencing her book and wondering what all the fuss was about.  I'm not sure whether it's the extra years of wisdom I have now that come along with maturing or a new interest in nature but I now hold a strong appreciation of the bird life around me.  I love their different sizes, the glorious shades of color and most of all, the vast array of noises from their song book and the harmony of multiple species singing together.  

A few weeks ago I heard my dogs voicing their annoyance with something.  I went out to the verandah and was pleasantly surprised to see a male and female Black and White Casqued Hornbill in a nearby tree.  They took little notice of me or the dogs as they did what birds do before they flew off with a noisy "flack flack" of their wings.  Now that's a wonderful way to start any day!

Black and White Casqued Hornbill - Male (left) Female (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment